The basic function of water softeners involves replacing the calcium and magnesium ions in water with sodium ions. Hard water problems are resolved by sodium ions because they do not have the adverse effects that calcium and magnesium ions have. Hard water elements do not react well with soap and form deposits on pipes and appliances.
As water travels through the water softener, ion replacement occurs, with the sodium ions taking the place of the calcium and magnesium ions, which are trapped in a resin bed. Once the water softener’s sodium ions are depleted, more are created through a process called regeneration. The residual calcium and magnesium are flushed from the system.
Water softeners address issues such as:
- Objectionable taste and odor
- Rust and mineral discoloration
- Hard water build-up
- Soap scale
Water softeners provide benefits such as:
- Less soap needed for bathing and cleaning
- Laundry that is cleaner and brighter
- Longer lasting fixtures and pipes
- Extended appliance life and improved performance
- Pure water for cooking and drinking
- Money-saved on bottled water
Contact us at (916) 684-3678 to learn more about water softeners. Our experts will help you to identify your water issues and choose the right water solution for your home.